Well, I’ve had an interesting couple of weeks to say the least.

September 21st I had planned to travel to Metropolis to visit my aunt. The day before I was leaving she called me to tell me she really needed me there. She sounded fine, so I didn’t think much of it. I took my time getting there, little did I know, It was almost the end for her.

That night I got there and visited with her, she woke right up and talked to me for an hour or so, they said she had been sleeping most of the day. We talked a bit and after she fell asleep I went back to our hotel for the night. Around 6 am I received the call that she had passed.

My aunt Barbie, I would definitely consider her my best friend. After my bone marrow transplant she made a facebook account and we were able to reconnect. We talked almost every day. She was one of the few people I felt like I could be completely honest with, because through her own trials, she understood my pain. Every day since then, there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t miss her or think about her. I so desperately wish I could tell her what’s going on with me right now. I wish I could tell her how much I miss her, how my days feel empty without her. She always called me her soul sister, I was her niece after her own heart. She even told me that the night before she passed. I don’t know why God decides to take some people so young, and I don’t suspect I will ever know. She was only 54. Much older than I, but surely not old enough to be so sick.

The days after were difficult. I drove home that Thursday and Daniel and I decided since we couldn’t afford a proper funeral that we would have a memorial service in the park. I set everything in motion on facebook and her friends truly came through for her. It was very beautiful to see how many people truly loved and cared for my aunt. Many people brought food for us all to share, another person brought their laptop to be able to play the song she wanted. Dust in the Wind by Kansas. I got up and shared some memories of her, and about 7 or 8 people did the same. We probably had about 40 to 50 people there. It was really beautiful and I can only imagine if she was able to look down and watch us that day how happy it must have made her heart.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s